EACH YEAR the Sifton-Cook Heritage Centre changes its theme and displays.
2015: Cobourg's Industry & Commerce
The theme of Industry & Commerce allows us to tell a great variety of stories. Over the years Cobourg has been home to large well-known international corporations such as Kraft as well as more local ones such as Cooey, manufacturer of rifles, and equally familiar in its day.
Of particular interest is the presence of the only Canadian factory of the Lydia Pinkham Company producing her amazingly effective (for woman) vegetable compound. Lydia’s display includes descriptive panels, a video of the Lydia Pinkham ballad, some artifacts and a barrel full of the plants used in her wonderful compound.
The outdoor Cobourg and Peterborough Railway runs daily, weather permitting.
Past & Upcoming SCHC Themes:
- 2012 – Incorporation of the Town of Cobourg, 175th Annniversary
- 2013 – Transportation, 160th Anniversary of the turning of the sod for the Cobourg & Peterborough Railway
- 2014 – Military, 100th Anniversary of the Outbreak of WWI
- 2015 – Industry, 150th Anniversary James Crossen & the Ontario Foundry
- 2016 – Sports, 140th Anniversary of the Launching of the Countess of Dufferin
- 2017 – Government, 150th Anniversary of Confederation